BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Compelled to Serve

Growing up in Botswana and Zimbabwe as a missionary kid was an amazing growing and learning experience that has helped broaden my view of the world.
This summer I was given the awesome opportunity to return to Zimbabwe after having left six years ago to move to Richmond, VA.



Even after being gone all these years and all the changes that have occurred (like toll booths and getting a mixture of rand and US dollars for change in the stores) it felt so familiar and natural for me to be there. Oh how I have missed worshipping with my Zimbabwean brothers and sisters in Christ while being in the USA.

It is truly a blessing! I had my fill of sadza, boerewors, and coke in a glass bottle.



I even tried a Mopani worm again and yes it still tasted disgusting!



Being in medical school (now in my second year) I was so excited to learn more about health care in Zimbabwe and gain some experience in that area.



I was prepared for the poor conditions but it didn’t lessen the shock of seeing the overwhelming need. I was able to work with the Beaty’s the last two weeks I was in Zimbabwe doing eye clinics in and around Bulawayo. I saw my first eye surgery, gave my first eye block (injection under the eye to block all sensation to the eye) and so much more! But by far an experience that stands out to me occurred at Mater Dei hospital in Bulawayo. Uncle Steve (Dr. Beaty) was conducting cataract surgery that day and I was helping out by doing the “very difficult task” of dilating people’s eyes before they go in to see him. This may be too complicated for you to understand if you’re not in the medical world but you have to tell the person to look up and put 2 drops of atropine in their eye! Phew, now that’s hard! Well, I was doing my very important, difficult task when I started talking to the patient (the fourth that day) whose eyes I had just dilated. He was nervous about the procedure and needed a little assurance. In the middle of our conversation he looked up at me and asked quite genuinely “I wonder why Dr. Beaty pays all this money to come over here and do these surgeries for free” (do I hear opportunity knocking or what?!). I told him simply that it was because of grace; Uncle Steve had been shown so much grace and love by Christ Jesus that he can’t help but want to do the same for others. How can he not when he’s been forgiven and loved so much! The man was contemplative and we talked a while longer before he was called for his exam.



That is what it’s all about isn’t it? We are not good saviors coming to help poor heathens. We are wretched sinners, forgiven and loved thanks to the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ. Christ’s love compels us to share His love and grace with others!

Submitted by Sarah Fort

0 comments: