BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, June 24, 2011

Zimbabwe Volunteer Testimonies

Recently, a volunteer team from Lifepoint Baptist Church in Senatobia, Mississippi returned to Zimbabwe. This church has been sending out teams annually to Zimbabwe for more than 10 years. Team leader Jay Adkins always does an excellent job of preparing his team members to witness, to lead people to a personal faith in Christ, and to help the new Christians understand how to be disciples of Jesus Christ. This group, under the power and leadership of the Holy Spirit has helped start at least 6 churches in Zimbabwe.



Just before the team left Zimbabwe we had a chance to sit down and talk with a few of them about their experience here in Zimbabwe. Jay told us, “Every time I get ready to come to Zimbabwe, I just don’t think it can get better – But it does! This time was very special because the last night we were at Mberengwa the people we came to minister to prepared a special meal to thank us for coming.”

Jeff Underwood, who came for the fourth time to Zimbabwe told us, “Each time the ministry opportunities are greater and greater. Ministry is really different here too. It is amazing that 6-7 foreigners can just show up in a village and they are welcomed with amazing hospitality. I’m not sure that if 6-7 strangers showed up at my house that I would be so open, so welcoming and so excited to see them.”
Jeff is a teacher in the U.S. and his passion for ministering to children extends to the kids in Zimbabwe. He had great fun playing with them and spending time getting to know some of the school children while at Mberengwa.



Josh Webb is on his first trip to Zimbabwe. He shared with us that when he was saved a year ago God gave him a global view of Christianity. “God put on my heart to be involved in missions. Even though I don’t know exactly what that will mean for my life, this trip has really confirmed God’s calling in my life. I have a heart to serve God and would appreciate your prayers for an open door for the future.” Josh mentioned that one of the highlights of the trip was working alongside Willie Green. (Willie is pictured here with Team Leader Jay Adkins.)



On his second mission trip to Zimbabwe, Jordan Jones, a quiet young man says that both trips have helped him open up to people. On the first trip he was not talkative at all, but felt convicted of his fear of sharing the gospel with people. This time he was able to share the gospel to a number of people. “God has really convicted me,” says Jordan, about what I do with the time God gives me. I have to ask myself if I am I just giving some and not all to God.” Jordan said sharing the gospel with school children was one of the highlights of his trip. “The kids I’ve met here expressed so much joy in having us here. I learned that about 50% of the kids are orphans. While sharing the gospel with them, they were really listening to what Jesus wants to do for them. It really bothers me that so many children have no one to show them the right way.”



John Loftiss a recent high school graduate commented that while here he realized that
“living in U.S. I don’t have to live out my faith. Everything is given to me. Life comes easy. But here in Zimbabwe I’m learning to trust God more.” At Mberengwa John developed a friendship with a young man named Clement . John tells that, “Clement’s father died last year and he was struggling with that. During the hut to hut ministry I got to meet him and his family and witness to them. He promised to come to the showing of the Jesus film that night. He wanted to know more. At the end of the film he promised to come to the discipleship time the next day. He came hungry to know more. Vance and I sat with him after the discipleship class and shared some more Bible stories with him. We talked about the story of Job, how he lost everything, but still refused to curse God. We tried to help him understand that life doesn’t always make sense but God is using our circumstances for our benefit. It was so exciting when he accepted Christ.”

This was Stephanie Ward’s third opportunity to come to Zimbabwe. She says she was amazed that this rural area seemed more affluent in comparison to the other rural areas we’ve been too in the past. Stephanie shared, “We went to one hut on the second day and shared the gospel with the family then they walked with us as we left. One of the girls spoke English and she asked me if I would give her something. I told her I didn’t bring you a thing – I just want to give you Jesus. She walked with me to her grand-parents hut as well she listened again as we shared the gospel with them. I pray that this girl will one day receive Christ.”



Ruby Coston came for the first time on this trip to Zimbabwe. She told us, “God has really showed me on this trip how ungrateful I am. I saw schools where there weren’t enough desks or books to go around. I saw the great percentage of orphans in these schools. It made me realize how I should be grateful that God has given me a family and stable home. It broke my heart. I always want to buy the next new thing. These kids have nothing. It has really opened my eyes.”

When asked what she will do differently as a result of this realization she said, “I want to act out my gratitude at home and in my community. I hope it will change the way I think about spending money on things.”

Paul McGeehee told us this is his fourth trip to Zimbabwe. He says, “God keeps bringing me here. The ministry opportunities here are incredible. I feel very fortunate and blessed to have been able to help plant a churches each time I have been here. It is great to have so many opportunities to share the gospel. As much as we have been blessed it grieved my heart when people claimed to know Jesus, but from listening to their testimonies it was obvious they knew about Christ but had no relationship to him. During this trip we have planted the true seed of God’s Word and we have seen a little bit of fruit. We trust and pray that He will provide the increase in His time and in His way.

Jennifer Adkins, wife of team leader Jay shared her excitement of being able to share the gospel at one hut and having four of the six adults there pray to receive Christ. She tells, “One of the young women we witnessed to, Lucy, was very embarrassed to have visitors in her home when she was dressed in her work clothes and was all dirty from working. She did not feel this was an acceptable way to receive us as honored guests. One evening Lucy walked all the way from her village to where we were camped. She had washed and dressed in her best clothes to come spend time with us and hear more about Jesus.”

0 comments: